Can I change my child’s surname?

No. A parent should not unilaterally change a child’s name without the consent of the other parent.  

If you change your child’s surname without consulting the other parent, there is a risk that the other parent will make an application to the Court.  This could result in an adverse Costs Order against you.

If there is a reason why the child’s name should be changed the best option is to seek the agreement of the other party or apply to the Family Court or Federal Magistrates Court for a Court Order.

We offer free and helpful information via our newsletter, simply click the button to read more

Call Us:
(07) 5574 1888

Level 2, 142 Bundall Road,
Bundall, QLD 4217

Email Us:

© Copyright 2016 All Rights Reserved | Evans & Company Family Lawyers

Google Rating